Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Happy 40th Birthday Rod!

Today is my DH's 40th Birthday! I have a difficult time making masculine cards, but decided to go through my DS paper to see what I can come up with.

I love the Manhattan DS paper as they are cater to making masculine cards. This is where I started. I picked out my paper and then picked out my cs colours.

This is a criss-cross card or pocket card. The dimensions are 4 1/4" x 5 1/2". The insert is 3.75" x 5.25".

Basically, you take a full sheet of cs and cut it half length wise. I scored both sheets at 4 1/4". I then cut one side of each cs from the score line to the outer corner. I adhered the uncut portion of the cards together. I cut my DS paper slight smaller than your A2 size - 4 1/8" x 5 3/8" and then cut in half diagonally. Adhere your DS paper to your cs.

I glued bottom of the flaps down.

I then took a strip of cs and ran it through the crimper. Once you crimp your piece, you may have to spread it out a bit to lengthen your strip. Tied a piece of ribbon around it and adhere it to the front.

Using one of the label die cuts from the Matchbox Bigz XL Die, I punched holes around it. I stamped Happy Birthday (On You Birthday) onto a piece of white cs scrap and then punched it out using the word window punch. Adhered it to the label and then popped it up onto the ribbon.

Here is what the insert looks like. Again, the dimensions are 3.75" x 5.25".

I stamped the man from Golden Oldies onto my cs, once on a plaid DS and another time on the blue striped DS. I then cut them out and pieced them onto my insert. It was easier to use SU glue to piece them, this way you get all the little nicks and notches glued down, and voila, my man is dressed!

I then stamped the sentiment in Always Artichoke from Full of Life (retired now) stamp set.

Using the round tab punch, I punched out the tab and folded it half. As the only number set I owned was Whismical Numbers (retired), I used it to stamp out "40" in Always Artichoke and adhered to the top of the insert.

Here is a close up of what my guy looks like!
I like paper piecing as I find that colouring is way too much work and really like the results of this!
I also coloured my guy using my Copic markers!
What do you think? I hope you have enjoyed this card as much as I do!
Here is the Recipe:
Stamps: On Your Birthday, Full of Life, Whimsical Numbers, Golden Oldies
Ink: Black, Always Artichoke
Paper: Manhattan DS Paper, Mellow Moss, Whisper White
Other: Mellow Moss Ribbon, Crimper, Matchbox Bigz Die
Thanks for stopping by!
~Pat

No comments: