Tuesday, March 6, 2012

In Your Element - Session 3

I am a bit behind in my posting.  This is session 3 of 4 for the In Your Element project.  The Wednesday nite before the session, I received a phone call from parent buddy – we share  the classroom time – and the kids so that it isn`t as hectic.  Well my parent buddy informed me that she wasn`t able to make it on Friday, and asked if I would be ok to run the class on my own.   
Well my first thought was NO, how am I suppose to entertain 14 kids (8 of whom were 5 year olds) for an hour and a half.  But I had to think of something as I didn`t want let the kids down. 
I set down to planning, surfing the net, and planning – all of Wednesday evening, all day Thursday and Friday evening!  Hmm, can you see where my time was being held up. 

My first project was having the kids create a scenary card.  I managed to pick up some foam owl stickers from a LSS on sale.  I had the kids draw a tree so that they could place their own on a branch.  I then had them glue some cotton balls on top for the clouds and I had them take a muffin liner, fold in half, and glued it onto the front with a handdrawn  handle for the umbrella.  They then drew in the raindrops and decorated the cards as they saw fit!  Most of the kids had already decided who they were going to give their cards to.  What a blast!  You can`t go wrong with household items and gluing!

My second project – as I explained to them that February was heart month, they were going to create Mr. Heart Man. 
Finally my last project – everybody got to make a caterpillar magnet to hold their artwork together.

The best part of the day was when one of the kids commented – I wish everyday was art day!  I had soo much fun!  That made my day!  I managed to finish of the class with a story and everybody received some gummy hearts as a treat!

No comments: